Minoxidil topical solution is a hair growth stimulant, and is also intended to prevent hair loss.
Minoxidil topic solution stimulates hair-growth in individuals with androgenic alopecia .The exact mechanism of action of Minoxidil is unknown.
Minoxidil is medically proven to regrow hair. Its main uses are in the following conditions:
- Hair loss.
- Alopecia androgenic expressed males as diffuse hair loss or thinning of the hair in the front areas.
- Alopecia areata expressed as an inflammatory patchy loss of hair involving beard and scalp.
- Minoxidil is contraindicated in patients with a history of allergy of Minoxidil or any ingredient of component.
- Safety and effectiveness in males and females under 18 years of age and over 65 years of age have not been established.
- Pregnancy: category C, avoid used in pregnant or breast-feeding women.
- The most common reactions are dermatological effect, such as: Irritation, erythema, flushing dermatitis dry skin, and burning sensation.
- Rarely reported adverse effects including allergic reactions, dizziness, tingling sensation, light Headache, weakness and visual disturbances.
- Increase hair grow in an wanted area for some cases
Method of Application and Dose:
- Hair and scalp should be dried prior to Minoxidil application.
- Direct the pump spray nozzle to the required area of the scalp. Press the pump once and spread Minoxidil with fingers to cover all area.
- Repeat for a total of 8 times to apply don't use a hair dryer to speed up the drying of Minoxidil because this will decrease its effectiveness.
- Wash hands thoroughly after application.
- For External use only
- Increased systemic absorption of Minoxidil may potentially occur if drug is used more frequently, or in high doses than prescribed.
- There are no known cases of Minoxidil over dosage resulting from administration of Minoxidil. Accidental ingestion of Minoxidil may produce systemic effects related to cardiovascular system such as hypotension, fluid retention and tachycardia. Fluid retention can be managed with appropriate diuretic therapy; tachycardia can be controlled by administration of beta-adrenergic blanking agent. If encountered, hypotension should be treated by intravenous administration of normal saline.
Concentration & availability:
- Minoxidil 5% spray: Available in 60ml pump spray applicator. Each 1ml contains 50mg Minoxidil.
- Minoxidil 3.5% spray: Available in 60ml pump spray applicator. Each 1ml contains 35mg Minoxidil
- Minoxidil 2% spray: Available in 60ml pump spray applicator. Each 1ml contains 20mg Minoxidil.
- Protect from light.
- Store between 15-30oC Do not freeze.
- Keep tightly closed.